Hallo FANS!


In December 2012, Pure Metal's PRINTED comeback issue came out. We created the blog itself for the non-Polish speaking readers of our zine. There's quite a few of them... We're going to keep the blog updated with all the interviews we conducted in English and some reviews...

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Interview with SLEEPY HOLLOW

Interview questions by Tomek/Nevermore, Pure Metal magazine (Poland)
Answers by: Bob Mitchell
Photo: Sleepy Hollow
 
Pure Metal: Hi Bob, this is Tomasz from Pure Metal Magazine from Poland.
Bob Mitchell: Hi Tomasz!

PM: Why did you leave the Attacker in 2008?
BM: ............................................(SILENCE)

PM: Whose idea was Sleepy Hollow reunion? How it all happened?
Bob Mitchell: Well I'm not sure really. I know that for many years, the band had aquired a very big sized cult following. There was a time, perhaps about five years ago or so that I didn't want to sing anymore. Then I started looking around to see what the world had to offer again and I noticed that Sleepy Hollow was creating a buzz once again, so I made the appropriate contacts and now here I am talking to you and your readers. My wife made me realize that there were people out there that still cared and still believed in what I was doing. Then, thanks to Volker Raabe (Swordbrothers promoter), Andreas Lorenz came into the picture and he, as with everyone at Pure Steel, become a huge cheerleader for not only myself, but the band as well. To summerize, I really feel that it was our fans that wanted us back so here we are making some kind of big noise once again.

PM: Bob, you managed to gather nearly all members from the first squad. Only Steve Brink was replaced by Mike LePond, also past Sleepy Hollow member. Was it hard to convince Steve Stegg and Tom Wassman to join you? After all, you fired them after the release of debut album.
BM: Actually, that is incorrect. After the release of our debut, Steve (Stegg) left the band. Tommy (Wassman) stuck with me all the way and we had recruited two guitarists and we went on to tour extensively and then one day it just stopped. But I never fired anyone. With the reformation, Steve (Brink) was not able to commit to Sleepy Hollow in any capacity. He did, however, contribute the artwork for "SKULL 13". It was not hard to convince anyone to rejoin because so much time had passed and the time was right. Truthfully the whole reformation was very casual. We agreed that if no one wanted to stay this time around, they were free to leave.
As for Mike LePond, he is a friend of ours, and if I may, I must clarify something. Mike Lepond was asked to be our live bass player until we found a permanent one. Sleepy Hollow had shows in the offering so Mike graciously stepped in and helped re-establish the band in a live setting. He did not record "Skull 13". The bass playing was done by Steve Stegg and he did a great job.obviously. After all some of the reviews for the cd read that Mike did a great job when it was n fact Stegg. Just shows you what a well rounded musician he is. 

PM: What is the meaning of the title – ‘Skull 13’ ?
BM: No meaning really, I though it was a cool title for an album so I brought it up to the guys and they liked the title. That's it actually...

PM: Tell me more about the lyrics? What are they talking about?
BM: I never plan what I am going to write about. When it comes to songwriting, I listen for the music and I write for the song overall. the melodies and the structure of the music is what's most important to me and not its meaning. Music fans have their own interpritation as to what a song means to him or her and I'm talking in a lyricall aspect. For example, the Beatles song "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" has been interprited in so many ways that I think folks have forgotten that the song was written after John (Lennon) had gotten a piece of artwork that his son had made in grade school and it was his son who called the piece of art the title that world now knows. So for me to tell you what my lyrics are talking about would be pointless because I really don't think about that at all. I would say that long after the song is done, I would find some kind of meaning, but, again, lyircs by and large are suppose to be open for interpritation.

PM: Which musician had the biggest contribution in the ‘Skull 13’ writing process?
BM: I contributed all of the lyrics and Steve Stegg contributed all of the music. He is extremely talented and he and I wrote some really great songs together, in my estimation. But like everything else, our style of writing is very casual. It's a method I prefer the most. If a song has to be worked on continuously, it's not even worth listening to let alone write.

PM: Are there Mike LePond parts on the album??
BM: Mike did not contribute to the making of "SKULL 13". He was our live bassist. The idea that he played on the album was concieved by the media press, not us.
 PM: Mike LePond left the band in december 2011, because of his contribution in Symphony X. He was replaced by Alan D’Angelo. He is the new face in the band, so can you say something more about him?
BM: Correct. Mike, as I mentioned, helped us to re-establish us as a live band and he shined with us on stage but his commitments and priorities were dedicated to Symphony X and his various side projects. Actually, it was through his highest reccomendation, that we aquired Alan D'Angelo. Mike and I discussed him on our plane ride back from Chicago and few days later, Alan joined the band as a permanent member. His contribution to Sleepy Hollow has been tremendous. I thank Mike for being a great friend and for helping us along during the re-birth of Sleepy Hollow. Alan is a great player as well as a great entertainer. Having him has added a whole new dimension to the band. Personally speaking, he is the best thing that's ever happened to my career.

PM: Are you happy with the sound of the record? I ask, because, in my opinion, the production is not so good. It is noticeable especially in first 4 songs.
BM: (Laughs) There is a saying, that goes "You get what you pay for". We had no budget for this album. Our label did not offer a budget to record so we worked with what we had and I agree, as good as I think it sounds, the production could have been better but the songs hold up so well and I believe that is the saving grace of this album. Listening to it now, for a no dough production, it sounds really good and I am very proud of it. It can only get better from here.

PM: I like the cover art, it is so warm and it fits perfectly with the music. Who’s idea was it?
BM: It was my idea but I can't draw a stick figure or fingerpaint for that matter (laughs). The demonic pegasus is an image I thought of many years ago. He was on our debut album and now he is our mascot so you will all see alot of him. We needed a cover for "SKULL 13" and as I already said, our original bass player created the artwork. I described what I wanted and he applied the idea to canvas, pretty simple.

PM: I have the impression that first 4 songs sound quite modern. Later that impression vanishes... Is that the effect of lower guitar tuning?
BM: It could be, I really love the music that was written so I applied the lyrics and melody and there you hear it. I really am an old school type of singer, I go for the feeling more than anything else. If the music written is aggressive, I will sing it that way, if the music is written in a more open and melodic fashion, then that is how I will sing it. High tuning or lower tuning makes no difference as long as it suites my voice and, especially, as long as it's listenable.

PM: I feel that your album is ‘touched’ with Black Sabbath spirit, besides this, you’ve come back with strong, US power metal record. I want to thank you for that and congratulate you.
BM: Why thank you! You put us in some great company. I believe that as a band starting over again, we are on the right path. What you just said to me means alot to me personally.

PM: Which one of you likes Jag Panzer? I’m asking, because ‘Bleed Steel’ reminds me of that group, i’m talking about general impression, but also about vocals. Also these harder parts of ‘ Eternal Bridge ’ remind me of Jag Panzer (it’s not an accusation though!)
BM: That as well is a great compliment. We never sighted Jag Panzer as an influence even though we love the band. They are one of the best bands ever. I discussed this in another interview I just did and I can honestly say that there were no direct influences that were purposely sought out. As I mentioned, we just write and then we arrange our songs then we apply them accordingly. So if your ears are catching the stylistics of Panzer and Sabbath, then that's great. But I have read reviews that "Eternal Bridge" reminds them of Dio or even Manowar. Which brings me to my point, we write, we perform and you decide. When a song becomes a point of conversation, you have written a song that belongs to the people and your job is done for the moment.

PM: I want to praise Steve Stegg for his very good riffs and solos. I especially enjoy that oriental solo in ‘Bleed Steel’. I also think it is my favourite song from the whole album. Tell me, how long do you work on such quality songs?
BM: Not long really, it really just goes back to what I just said, I sing according to how the music is written. It is not planned, I don't believe. I listen and whatever comes out is what eventually will be recorded. Dean Martin had a rule about singing, he always said "If you gotta force it, then don't sing it". In other words, when writing lyrics and vocal parts always trust your first instinct.

PM: My second favourite song is the longest one – ‘Epic (The Legend Retold)’. What this legend says?
BM: I like that one alot too. After reading the lyrics, the song seems to be about how the Headless Horseman became that way. The song is actually about the horseman's side of the story, the side we never got to hear about. I guess it's kind of the same idea that was created for "Jesus Christ Superstar" which is about the story of Christ from the point of view of Judas, the side we never got. Now mind you, I never really know what I write about (laughs) but to answer this question I had to really read the lyrics to this so that I can answer your question properly.  "Epic" was written over twenty years ago and it wasn't until now that it has been given its rightful place. I was not hard at all to record this particular song. I sang it in one take. The overall production took longer simply because it's a long song. At the risk of repearing myself, no song that needs to be labored over is worth recording. Some bands kill themsleves over a song because the timing has to be perfect or whatever unsightly thing comes up. 
The way I see it, Heavy Metal is performed by human beings and as such, we tend to make mistakes but that is the beauty of the art. When music comes from the heart, it is always well recieved, when it is from a machine? Well, the only ones who will appreciate it are tech geeks and not the average rock fan. The way you hear me on album is how you will hear me live. There are times I do backing vocals and such but that is simply for the enhancement of the overall production, but it is still me.

PM: Bob, do you purposely sing like Bruce Dickinson, through the first part of ‘Epic’(The Legend Retold)’?
BM: Actually, no. I just sing my friend. If it sounds that way to you then I did my job pretty well.

PM:  ‘Midnight’ sounds old-fashioned and sinister... but it is a ballad, very dark ballad. If i’m the only one with the impression that this classic song would fit perfectly on Metal Church – ‘The Dark’?
BM: Wow! Metal Church..... David Wayne was a big influence to me. "Midnight", structurally, was taken from Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" where it just builds up into this monster of an ending. A this point of our conversation, it just proves my point as to what I said before, and that point is, perhaps the production of "SKULL 13" may not be the best, but the songs really stand out and have made an impression on not only you but to so many Metal fans.

PM: Whose idea was to make ‘Facemelter’ sound just like... old missing Judas Priest song?
BM: I'm not sure, just came out that way. We all love Judas Priest so I guess this song is our way of saying thanks to the boys from Birmingham!

PM: Bob, what type of songs do you prefer to sing: fast ones or slower, heavy ones?
BM: I prefer to sing good, solid Metal songs. I'm really proud of all my work that I have helped to create throughout my career. I don't believe I have never enjoyed not writing a song. Overall, and I am probably repeating myself but I guess its the age (laughs). But seriously I take pride in being a singer and I have learned over the years to arrange my vocals according to how a song is structured. For instance, a song like "Facemelter" is an aggressive song so to me it's required to be sung that way. My favorite songs are "Eternal Bridge", "Spiral Effect" and "Inquisition" and that's because I get to showcase my natural voice. The heavier songs I use what I call the "gimmick" voice. To my advantage, I use all facets of my voice quite effectively and the fans seem to like what I do so it is a technique I will always utilize. For me it is not best to sing everything in the same way. I could never take pride in being known as a one trick pony.

PM: My 6 years old boy, after hearing your vocals, said that ‘you are a screamer!’ I want to add from myself that damn good one! How much time do you spend on vocal practice?
BM: It's wonderful to know that I have made a positive impression on your boy. Children are so extremely honest so I would always trust what a child says. I have four children myself and I trust their judgement. As for practicing, well I sing every day around the house and then every other day I devote about two hours of vocalizing in the basement of my home. Then of course, there is band rehearsals and such. Admitedly, I think I started out as a screamer because alot of the bands at the time were utilizing that style of vocal so I just did what was popular just to fit in.
But if you listen to the "Battle" album I didn't scream on every song I just had a higher voice because I was a kid then. To be specific, when I did the "Battle" album I was 17 or 18 years old so I was still a boy then, but even at that time, I had the intuition to effectively use my voice according to how the songs were written. Whether it was an aggressive song or a melodic piece, I knew when to apply proper placement to enhance the music that was being written for me to sing. Plus twenty-five years ago, my voice was higher and more youthful. Through the years my voice has matured. I can still hit high notes but not like I used to. These days, as you know, I do more singing than screaming. I think nowadays, I have a more methodical approach and I have to be absolutely sure that what I do in the studio I can do in a live show. I could never cheat my audience. So what you hear is what you hear.

PM: You’ve added to the squad second guitarist – Rick Craig recently. Is he full member of the band or will he only support you at the concerts?
BM: It must be said now that Steve Stegg has once again left the band, I don't know the reason why but I am not going to devote the rest of this interview to wonder what happened. But I said earlier that the reformation was very casual. Anyhow, Rick Craig is a full time member of Sleepy Hollow and he comes to us with some great credentials plus he is one of the nicest men I have ever met, he is a great musician, a fantastic artist and a pure man of family. Just to give you an overview of what he is all about, I will summerize it this way; Rick Craig is a founding member of Detroit metal legends HALLOWEEN (good close friends of mine) and is also a former member of the classic rock bands HUMBLE PIE and the MC5. We are already formulating ideas for the next Sleepy Hollow which will be called "UNITED". We're already very excited about the prospects of this album.

PM: Tell me more about ‘Spiral Effect’ video. Who was the director and whose house is this?
BM: We shot the video in one day. It was at Steve Stegg's girlfriends house. It was her home and the exterior shots were done on her property. Her place was huge and we utilized every inch of it. It was self directed. We had no concept totally off the cuff. We kinda did it the old Mack Sennette way, the cameras were turned on and we did our thing. We got the individual shots, then the group shots. Took the footage and Stegg syncronized the scenes to the music and then we brought out for everyone. For a video that was literally done on a shoestring budget, it has gotten a great reaction and I think that's because there was no illusions, no cgi's, no tricks. It was just the band and our song. Very old school.

PM: Are you happy with the cooperation with Pure Steel Records? It is small company so i wonder, what kind of support they can offer you?
BM: I am perfectly happy with Pure Steel. I knew full well that there would be no tour support or anything of that nature, but they are fully supportive of the bands artistic integrity and it is an outlet for us to release our music to the world. We have a nice deal with them and I know that it will be a great run for us. We're a self suffcient band which is to say we work very closely with the label and in turn, they give us the exposure we require. It can only get better from this point. I understand that the album is selling quite well and they are all happy to have us and we are happy to be a part of them.

PM: Have you played promo concerts already? If so, where have you played? And what has the reaction been like?
BM: We have been performing steadily since November 2011. We've been playing in front of some strong houses and the fans have been vocal and very much into it with us. Along the way we have performed with EXCITER, MSG, SEVEN WITCHES as with our label mates Exxplorer and Halloween. By the time you read this, we will be playing with our other label mates Widow. In fact, now that I am talking about it, we just recenty announced that we will be with OZ at the Ragnarokr Festival in Chicago, IL in May of 2013 and we will also be performing at the Headbangers Open Air in Germany in July of 2013, along with that we have four other shows in Europe. Then in the fall we will be in the UK. We hope to have more festival dates but fans will have to visit us on facebook to find out more. As I am doing this interview for you, offers are coming in daily, so we are blessed to be in the position we are currently in.
I think it's funny now that I was once told I wold never amount to anything after leaving my former band. Not bad for a guy that wasn't suppose to amount to anythng eh?

PM: What songs from the early Sleepy Hollow era (demo and 1st album) do you play live?
BM: We only do "Dementia" and "Final Conflict". Our new material has been very well received so we concentrate on the newer material moreso than the older material. Besides, I really don't sing that high anymore and i would be ashamed to turn in a luckluster performance. It is best to deliver what I can do best.

PM: Bob, i’m in shock, in the meantime, I’ve listened to your new album one more time and i must say that ‘Skull 13’ is absolutely FANTASTIC, and you must know that i’m rather demanding listener... Although i think that sound isn’t so great, the songs are just fabulous! I will wait for next Sleepy Hollow record with eager anticipation! Cheers, Bob!
BM: Thank you brother, we're certainly looking forward to making our next album and unleash more metal to the masses!!

PS.
PM: Bob aren’t you taking the Attacker subject up?
BM: As for my former band I simply do not discuss them at all. Just a policy I have. I hope you can understand. It is OK to make reference to them but to ask me a direct question, I just will not do. Anyhow, I hope this helps. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment