Hallo FANS!


In December 2012, Pure Metal's PRINTED comeback issue came out. We created the blog itself for the non-Polish speaking readers of our zine. There's quite a few of them... We're going to keep the blog updated with all the interviews we conducted in English and some reviews...

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Interview with Steve "Zetro" Souza (Hatriot, ex-Exodus)




Hello Steve! It seems that you are very busy recently. You are planning to release the first Hatriot’s album. How is work going in the studio?
Hello everyone!  Yes, Hatriot has been on a major climb over the past few months and have officially signed with Massacre Records.  We are in the middle of recording our debut record, ‘Heroes Of Origin,’ right now, and are actually way ahead of schedule.  The guys are very well prepared for the studio since we rehearse so much.  They are killing it and that makes my job much easier.  I am about to start doing vocal tracks this week.  Zetro is back!

Do you already know when exactly the album will be released? Someone told me of January, next year. How real is the term?
That is definitely the time we are shooting for.  We are recording now and should have the whole thing mixed and mastered by the end of September.  I’ve got my art guy doing the layout now as well.  We should have everything turned in to Massacre by the end of September and then it is in their hands to get it pressed and distributed.  It will be out in the first quarter of 2013 no doubt about it.

Not long ago you published new song "Blood Stained Wings”. Is the whole album going to be in this style?
Yes, in fact that is why we chose “Blood Stained Wings” for the video.  It is a very good representation of what the band is doing.  I don’t want to let too much information out, but this is a very well rounded thrash metal record.  All of the key elements are there.  If you were a fan of what I did during my time with Exodus then you will love the Hatriot stuff.  
Who is primarily responsible for composing? Did you set some roles?
For the most part my guitarist Kosta will write and arrange the music and I will write all the lyrics.  He has a gift for knowing what parts go where.  Very rarely do I have to make him change something.  It’s only happened a couple of times and that’s because there were too many good riffs and we had to make a song shorter.  After Kosta gets the general arrangement together he will teach it to the rest of the band and they put their own sound and style on it.

I’ve heard your demo and it sounds promising. How did your ‘old’ fans react to the new project and these sounds?
It has been all positive reactions so far.  I haven’t strayed too far out from the sound they are used to hearing from me.  It has actually gotten heavier.  The same formulas and structures that worked so well with the Exodus material are all here in Hatriot as well.  Thrash fans will not be disappointed.

Recently you’ve signed a contract with Massacre Records. Is this one-time collaboration, or rather a long-term contract?
It is for two records, but who knows what the future holds?  We may stay longer than that.  The people at Massacre have been very good to work with so far.  They have a proven track record and know how to promote and market thrash metal.  Sounds like a good match to me.

How was Hatriot created? I admit that it was a surprise to me when I saw the new video. When the idea of creating this band appeared in your head?
I met my guitarist Kosta at a show his band was playing and we hit it off.  We started talking shop and I was impressed with how much knowledge he had about thrash metal.  I sang on some demos he had lying around, and that led to us writing some material.  We had a real strong chemistry so we decided to form a band.

The name of the band seems to be a combination of ‘Hate’ and ‘Patriotism’, Am I right? Are the texts corresponding somehow with the name?
Yeah the name comes from the Exodus song ‘Scar Spangled Banner,’ where I use the phrase “I’m no patriot just a hatriot.”  It is a total play on the word patriot.  

There are two of your sons playing together with you in Hatriot... Do you cooperate more like buddies from the band, or you're standing over them with a whip and forcing them to work like a strict father?
For the most part we are band mates when it comes to Hatriot.  I don’t really have to dive into dad mode with them.  They are both very mature and understand the music and the work ethic that is required to do something at this level.  They grew up around it.

Are Nicholas and Cody fans of what you've done for metal so far? Are they proud of the fact that they can play in a band with such a ‘famous’ person?
Well, I’ve always been ‘dad’ to them but they are aware of the records and the status that I have in the business.  I don’t know if they view me as being famous or not.    Nick is right here, I am going to get him to answer this.

NICK SOUZA – Well, I do understand what he did in the past, and all the groundbreaking albums he was a part of, but for the most part I just view him as dad.  It’s awesome to be in a band with him.  He’s done so much for heavy metal.  But I know another side of him – going to baseball games with his kids and stuff like that, so to me he’s just dad.

At the beginning you’ve had a different drummer, which recorded a demo with you. Why did you replace him with your son?
Yeah that was our old drummer Alex.  He is a phenomenal player, but we were headed in different directions.  He had other opportunities to tour and do things, so he went for that route.  No hard feelings.  It’s all good now.  We tried out a few drummers to replace him, but to be honest Nick was the best choice, as well as the most obvious choice.  It is working out nicely.

I’ve heard that Cody was not too eager to play and you’ve had to encourage him a little. From whom he got his first instrument? It wasn’t you, right?
No, Cody has always been eager to play.  I never forced it on him; I just let him become interested in it on his own.  I bought an old bass off of Jack Gibson during my last stint with Exodus.  Cody was about 13 at the time.  I threw it at him and said “here you go – learn to play it.”  I wanted to see how badly he wanted to learn.  Needless to say he taught himself how to play and is a killer bassist now.  He plays a five string because four just ain’t enough for him.  He actually had to try out for Hatriot.  We didn’t just give him the gig because I’m his dad.  He earned his way in.  

What about playing concerts? Have you already had the opportunity to test your abilities in front of a large audience?
Yes, we have done a few shows over the past couple years here in the Bay Area.  It’s all about quality and not quantity with me.  We have opened shows for a lot of the bigger metal acts that are from here.  I’m not interested in playing every little local show that gets offered.  We view ourselves as a national act and we promote ourselves that way.  When the record drops in January there will be a full scale tour.  We will be doing a lot of road work to support the album.

Now let's go back in time. Do you remember the time when you’ve joined the Exodus? What were your emotions then? Exodus was already ‘big’ brand.
It was surreal.  Exodus was huge in the Bay Area.  I remember going to a party and people were coming up to me congratulating me on joining the band.  It was like going from the minor leagues into the major leagues.  Paul Baloff definitely left big shoes to fill and it took a while to gain the respect of the fans.  I was the ‘new guy’ for quite a while.

Apparently we shouldn’t enter twice into the same river, but you have returned after many years to Exodus, and recorded one of their best albums “Tempo of the Damned”. In what circumstances it came to the return?
Exodus had been touring again with Paul Baloff and then he had a stroke and died.  It was a very sudden thing and it put the band in a situation where they had contracted shows on the books and had to fulfill their obligations.  The band couldn’t leave the promoters hanging so I got the call to fill in on some shows and it lead to me rejoining the band full time.  From there we wrote and recorded the “Tempo” album and the rest is history.

Which one of the albums that you have recorded with Exodus is the most important achievement to you?
I love all of my work with Exodus.  Each one of the albums represents a different chapter in my life and I’m very close to them all.  But If I had to choose I’d say it is a tie between “Fabulous Disaster” and “Tempo Of The Damned.”  “Fabulous” because it was such a groundbreaking record, and “Tempo” because it was an amazing comeback record for me after an absence from the scene.

What's going on now in the camp of Dublin Death Patrol? What is the mood inside after the release of the new album? How long have you been working on this material?
‘Death Sentence’ is the name of the new DDP disc, and it took us about a year to write and record it.  DDP is more of a fun project than a real functioning band.  We get together and jam when time permits, and that’s pretty much it.  Right now Chuck is obviously busy touring on the new Testament record, and I’m working hard to get Hatriot into the forefront of the scene.  Hatriot is my full priority at this point, so I don’t know what the future will hold for DDP.

Returning to Hatriot, are you already thinking about next year's tour to promote the album? Is there a chance to come to Poland?
Part of the deal with Massacre is they agree to put us on tour.  Where that will be is yet to be determined.  A lot of it has to do with the economics involved with everything.  We definitely would love to come to Poland.  If the label moves a lot of product in Poland then I’m sure we will try to work something out.

That's all for this moment. Now you have the opportunity to greet our readers and encourage them to check Hatriot. Thank you!
I really appreciate the interview.  It’s the webzines and die hard guys in the underground that keep metal alive.  To the fans out there – I want to thank all of you for sticking with me and following my career through all the ups and downs.  I promise this Hatriot record will be a thrash classic and you will not be disappointed.  I hope to see everyone on tour.  Cheers!  ZETRO

No comments:

Post a Comment